In response to the recent events in the US and UK and the work of Black Lives Matter movements globally, many arts organisations are reconsidering their approach to their ethnically diverse workforce moving forward.
One of the clearest messages has been the ongoing effect of unconsciously racist attitudes, micro-aggressions and more on black and ethnically diverse performers, musicians, stage management, creatives, producers and others working in the arts, museums and libraries in the UK.
Inc Arts, founded by Amanda Parker, is a not-for-profit consultancy specialising in diversity and inclusion in the arts. It champions the creative, economic and contractual rights of the UK's Black and ethnically diverse arts sector workforce and tackles the inequalities they face by:
1. Building peer-led, evidence-based research and campaigns.
2. Working with arts organisations to create effective change programmes in their places of work.
Now we are adding a third strand:
3. Providing both professional and peer-led emotional and mental health support.
Whether it be a one-off session just to check in or longer-term support to deal with the effects of racism in their working and daily lives, we want everyone who needs it to be able to access that support. We will manage the referrals and put people in touch with a network of black and ethnically diverse therapists, either via charities like Black Minds Matter and/or through building our own network.
All funds raised will be equally split to support the mental health of black and ethnically diverse arts workers and to support Inc Arts’ programmes for positive change in the sector.
Inc Arts will enable as many people as possible to get specialised help from therapists who truly understand the pressures involved.
How can you help?
· Donate to Inc Arts – either a one-off donation or an annual or monthly amount. This can be done anonymously if you wish.
· Sign up to the Inc Arts charter to affirm that you are making practical efforts to support the black and ethnically diverse workforce in the UK. If you would like to sign up to the Inc Arts charter please save, sign, date and email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
CHARTER SIGNATORIES INCLUDE: